Several people have told me how much they like seeing progress photos of paintings. Soooooo, I thought I’d share with you all some of my progress shots from recent works, starting with “Food Forest.”
The process for this painting started with a photography session at an Urban Patchwork “food forest.” Several artists were preparing work for a one-night show to benefit Austin’s Urban Patchwork community gardens. I took quite a few photos, and then spent days just thinking about what I wanted my first painting for this show to be. I came up with my composition using imagery drawn from many photos.
I also painted this in acrylic — Chroma’s Atelier Interactive acrylics, which is mostly what I’ve used when trying to paint in acrylic. You may know that I’m an oil painter at heart, and find acrylics frustrating, but I knew I didn’t have time for a new oil painting to dry in time for the show, so acrylics it was to be. (yikes!)
I started on a Friday afternoon and finished the following Monday, which is pretty fast for me to complete an entire painting this size.
I have to admit, shaking up my medium really worked in this instance. I love this painting! It now hangs in the living room, so I get to enjoy it every day. Which is not to say that I won’t part with it. 🙂