- Cloud People in James and the Giant Peach
- Draw Abstracted Form Merging with Landscape
- Start Where You Are. Move On from There.
- Drawing Masks as Analogies for Self
- 80 Ways to Paint…
- Your Work Must Grow
- Artists to Look at for Atmosphere
Class notes, from Advanced Drawing Studio with Barbara Rossi, SAIC, 1991
“The creative process lies not in imitating, but in paralleling nature—translating the impulse received from nature into the medium of expression, thus vitalizing this medium. The picture should be alive, the statue should be alive and every work of art should be alive.”
– Hans Hoffman
Think about forms of nature that excite you: creatures, clouds, rocks, wood, trees, bones, water, fog.
Make lots of drawings of abstracted form merging with the landscape.
Hoffman’s “Search for the Real.”
The sound of machines; music.
Thorax (horse drowning in a sea of sadness).