Skip to content
Class notes, SAIC, 1991
- More transparent colors recede; more opaque colors come forward.
- Unify the painting by using the same yellow, orange, etc.
- Gray colors by using their complements.
- Work all over, 3-4 tones (light, medium, dark, etc.) for each area –> work other colors from painting into highlights and shadows.
- Work all over; when you change one thing, you change everything!
- Make sure highlights reflect colors from light source (or put another way, warm light, cool shadows; cool light, warm shadows).
- Simplify shapes (details) in shadows especially (i.e., NO detail).
- Choose a color scheme and stick to it.
- Get freshness back into figures while working all over.
- Let some shadow areas slide into the background area.